Wednesday, March 13, 2013

March 13th, 2013 - The Wasp Saga Continues

DSC02005

Our landlord stopped by today to deal with the Wasp Problem for us. Now, I don’t have a ton of experience with exterminating insects, but my granddad (hi grandpa!) has a pretty practical way of getting rid of wasp nests. It involves some very sneaky ninja work, where you take a plastic bag and go out at night when the wasps are asleep (or so you hope) and you knock the nest into the bag and tie it up before they catch on to your devious little ploy and stage a counterattack.



I’m sure there are less dangerous ways of doing this (there must be), but I’ve always considered this method to be the Badass Alberta Cowboy method of wasp eradication. Due to logistical issues, this wasn’t possible for our wasp nest. But little did I know, there are more dangerous ways of doing things. Specifically: poking the nest with a stick. In broad daylight. With a stick. I kid you not.

So when our wise landlord started poking at the wasp nest with the handle of our mop, my natural reaction was to get as far away from that disaster as possible—while still remaining close enough to watch, because really, no way am I missing someone poking a wasp nest with a stick. I know, I’m a terrible person, but it’s like watching a train wreck, you can’t not watch it. Or so I thought.

I waited on the safe side of our glass balcony doors and I truly expected this to end horrifically.

Everything I know about wasps and common sense says that it should have ended badly. And yet, I am shocked to conclude, poking wasp nests with sticks actually does work! Who knew? Our Wasp Problem seems to be fixed—so far, at least. Mind you, I do not recommend this method; seriously, do not try this at home, kids! (Unless you are made of magic like our landlord. I like to think that he’s a wasp whisperer, because there had to have been some kind of sorcery involved in this. He's pretty awesome.)

I’m still not about to go around poking at wasp nests myself. But hey, if it works, it works, right?

- LuckyStar

No comments:

Post a Comment